Teachers at The Grange P-12 College seek to make learning a positive experience for our students. To this end, we use a common lesson structure in our classrooms to provide an evidence based, effective and balanced framework for all learning: the Four Part Lesson Structure (4PLS)
This model includes:
- Setting goals for the lesson and tuning in to the topic.
- Explicit and direct teaching in a mini lesson
- Time for students to practise independently and collaboratively, with teacher support.
- Time for setting homework and reflecting on the learning in the lesson.
Teachers are involved in ongoing professional development around curriculum (the what) and pedagogy (the how) throughout the year, focussing on skill enrichment in areas such as:
- Differentiation: making the learning accessible to all students
- Addressing the literacy demands in all subjects across the curriculum
- Curriculum planning: ensuring that all students are guaranteed a robust and viable learning experience
- Innovation: keeping our teachers up to date with the latest in educational technologies and professional advancements to maximize student learning growth.